I just finished reading My Imaginary Ex for the 5th time, and still, if not more, in love with the book! It made me teary-eyed again.
When Zack asks Jasmine to pretend to be his ex-girlfriend, she gamely agrees, thinking it would be fun. A few years later, she still has to keep convincing people that they were never together! Then one day, she finds out he’s getting married — to someone she’d just met once! All of a sudden, things aren’t so clear-cut anymore. Can Jasmine sort out her feelings (sometimes, she can’t even tell real from pretend when it comes to her and Zack) before it’s too late?
Last quarter of last year, I went to Powerbooks to buy new novels I can devour into. Grabbed How To Be Single , Cinderella Deal, and two It Girl books. Still early for whatever I have to do later on that day, I decided to check out some books when I came upon the Summit books’ shelve. My Imaginary Ex – when I first read what was on the back cover, I thought, ‘just another love story’, but bought it anyway!
As soon as I got home, I tore its plastic cover and started to read. I decided to read it first instead of the other books because it’s thin, and I just need to read something to relax and to help me fall asleep – in a good way. I finished reading it for less than one hour! I couldn’t get my eyes off the pages, and my hands just keep moving to turn the pages – it’s that good!!
The book will make you fall in love, will you make you want to have your own Zack, will make you sigh and reminisce what your life was in the love department way back in college — and, will make you stop and think, Jasmine was so brave, I wish I could be like her. The book made me feel those 😉
But still, after reading the book, so many questions started to form in my head, like:
* how come Zack did not tell Jasmine how he really felt, instead, he let Jasmine figure it out. I mean, come on, no one’s that brave, like Jasmine, trying to stop the wedding just days before!
* Is there really a Jasmine, being the first to confess how you feel? For me, it’s scary, pouring your heart out into someone you’re not even sure will accept it. Laying it all on the line, and crossing the line were never my thing, I would never do that!!
* why did Zack wanted to marry some girl if it’s Jasmine who he really loves?
* and does it happen in real life, cancelling the wedding just days before…seriously? What a waste of money, and it is a big deal, considering our economy. What, you’ll pay 10k for the cake, at least 10k for the bridal gown, plus an ample amount for the bridesmaids dresses, the amount you give as down payment for the catering services, etc.
* what if Jasmine is not that brave, there’ll be a wedding, and Zack will be tied to someone he doesn’t love…sooooooooo unfair!
BUT, BUT, BUT it is still a good read. Trust me.